1. What is the application deadline for the Australia Program?
Applications will close on Thursday 31 August, 2023. Late applications are not accepted. Please plan for this accordingly, particularly when asking references to fill out the letter of recommendation.
2. How do I apply?
Applications will open on Tuesday 1 August, 2023. The application process is outlined here.
3. What research projects are available?
Please see here for available research projects. Please note, these are subject to change. Research projects are available in a variety of fields, and change on a yearly basis depending on what is available.
4. Can I apply for the Amgen Scholars Program if I’ve already finished my undergraduate degree?
No. Amgen Scholars must have at least one year left of their degree (FTE). If you have any questions about your eligibility, please contact email@example.com
5. Do I need to have previously attended the University of Melbourne to apply to the Amgen Scholars Program?
No, you don’t need to be from the University of Melbourne, but to be eligible, you must be enrolled as a student at an accredited college or university from across Oceania – Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific. Foreign nationals need to have work and study rights in Australia to participate in this program.
6. What about housing, food and travel expenses to and from the summer program in Australia?
Financial support is available to all students accepted to the Amgen Scholars Program. Financial support will cover travel, accommodation and associated costs and will be confirmed once successfully admitted to the program.
Amgen Scholars receive the following benefits:
- Stipend paid in two sums, up to $3600;
- All accommodation and meals provided at Queen’s College;
- Travel Costs including flights and public transport to and from campus;
- Additional Benefits include access to some athletic and recreational facilities, on campus activities, excursions to other scientific facilities, and a fortnightly seminar series.
7. Can I apply to participate in the Amgen Scholars Program in Australia if I am not a science or engineering major?
Yes. Students in any major may apply, although it is expected that most of the Amgen Scholars will have science, life science or engineering majors. Students are expected to have experience in a discipline appropriate to the research project they participate in, with approval from their research lab.
8. Do I need to have research experience prior to being admitted to the Program?
No. The Amgen Scholars Program encourages applications from both students experienced in research and newcomers to the field. We encourage applications from students attending universities where research opportunities are not available.
9. I’ve experienced personal or financial difficulties that mean my study/grades have been affected. Will I be able to share this in my application?
Yes, we encourage applications from students who may come from difficult circumstances. This will be taken into consideration.
10. Can I participate as an Amgen Scholar for more than one summer?
No. Students are invited to participate as an Amgen Scholar for one summer only. This ensures that the largest possible number of students get to experience the program.
11. Can I apply to participate as an Amgen Scholar at multiple institutions?
No, eligible students attending colleges and universities in Australia, New Zealand and Oceania are only eligible to apply for the Australian Amgen Scholars Program.
12. What if I was a mid-year entry to my degree and therefore will only have 1.5 years of my degree completed at the time of the program?
Apply anyway! We take mid year entry into consideration. As long as you still have 1 year FTE left of credits in your program, and have completed at least 1 year of FTE completed, you are eligible for the program.
13. Does the Letter of Recommendation need to be completed by someone from my home university?
Yes. The letter of recommendation needs to be completed by either your Course Coordinator, Academic Advisor or a Subject Coordinator from your home university. Please approach academic staff in a timely manner. Only one letter of recommendation is required, please use the template provided.
14. I am not a second year undergraduate student, can I still apply for the Amgen Scholars Program?
If you are only a first year student in 2023 – we recommend that you apply for the following year intake. If you are a final year student in 2023 but will be completing your honours as part of your undergraduate degree in 2024 – then please do apply. If you are a final year student in 2023 and will be completing your masters in 2024 – you are unfortunately not eligible to apply. If you are unsure what category you fit in or whether you should apply or not, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org